I can look forward to breakfast the moment I go to bed. If I know that a delicious stack of pancakes, full irish breakfast or a simple yoghurt with a fresh fruit salad is waiting for me the moment I wake up of course. Unfortunately, my breakfast usually contains out of simple slices of bread with cheese. I fully blame my laziness for this, which causes me to cherish these extra minutes of sleep instead of extra minutes in the kitchen.
Last week I got inspired by my social media feeds, which for some reason seemed to be filled with recipes of homemade granola. I did some research and discovered the simplicity of how I could make my personal time-saving breakfast less dull. I think you can see where I am going with this?! Yes, indeed I made my own granola.
In most recipes I saw that at least 3 types of nuts and seeds where used, which I decided not to do. I realised I had some ingredients leftover from my superfoods period.(In this period I bought a bunch of useless powders, seeds and berries, which are still in my press because I never use them). I also added some hazelnuts to the mix, which together with cashews make up for my top two favourites.
Homemade Hazelnut Granola
150 grams of unprocessed oatmeal
95 grams of unprocessed hazelnuts
4 tablespoons of honey
4 teaspoons of chia seeds
handful of goji berries
1. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
2. Slice the hazelnuts in half. (or smaller if you want to)
3. Place the oatmeal, hazelnuts, honey and chia seeds and mix all ingredients.
4. Place a baking sheet on an baking tray and put the mixture on top. Spread out equally.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Stir the mixture once or twice during the baking time.
6. Take the granola out of the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Then you can add the goji berries and store it in a dry, air-tight container.
I prefer to eat granola with yoghurt rather than milk, simply because the taste is less bland. A teaspoon of blueberry jam on top and it is complete. I had a hard time in keeping myself from eating everything at once.
This recipe guarantees a delicious start of your day while you are still able to get your extra sleeping minutes.
Want to stay updated on all my new posts? Follow my blog and let me know what you think.